Monday, February 8, 2010

CV Part 1

Cabaret Voltaire has always been with me for the last 25 years or so. It's a band I've grown up with from post-punk to electronica, from band's releases to solo records, from Rough Trade to Warp. But it's not only about the music. Their approach of the music business (DIY recordings, licensing with major company, setting up their own independent label, a duo rather than a larger group, solo projects...) was also critical to my eyes.
I've never been a fan of the tribute album concept but Cabaret Voltaire has influenced so many people in so many different music scenes in so many ways I saw this CV more as a statement for the label than a tribute to their music.
This cover of Western Mantra has been done by Class Of 69 (Joseph Ghosn and Michel Wisniewski, a duo too) is the first work I've received. And what a track!
I don't know when the whole album will be ready but in the meantime listen to this beautiful piece of music and enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment